By Diane Bolger
An authoritative advisor on gender prehistory for researchers, teachers and scholars in anthropology, archaeology, and gender studies
- Provides the main updated, accomplished assurance of gender archaeology, with an unique specialise in prehistory
- Offers severe overviews of advancements within the archaeology of gender during the last 30 years, in addition to tests of present traits and clients for destiny research
- Focuses on contemporary 3rd Wave ways to the examine of gender in early human societies, demanding heterosexist biases, and investigating the interfaces among gender and prestige, age, cognition, social reminiscence, performativity, the physique, and sexuality
- Features a number of local and thematic themes authored via demonstrated experts within the field, with incisive insurance of gender examine in prehistoric and protohistoric cultures of Africa, Asia, Europe, the Americas and the Pacific
Read Online or Download A Companion to Gender Prehistory PDF
Best archaeology books
The traditional knowledge says that the devolution of vintage Maya civilization happened simply because its inhabitants grew too huge and dense to be supported by way of primitive neotropical farming equipment, leading to debilitating famines and internecine struggles. utilizing study on modern Maya farming concepts and critical new archaeological study, Ford and Nigh refute this Malthusian clarification of occasions in historical important the USA and posit an intensive replacement concept.
During this cutting edge research, James Whitley examines the connection among the advance of pot variety and social alterations at midnight Age of Greece (1100-700 BC). He makes a speciality of Athens the place the Protogeometric and Geometric kinds first seemed. He considers pot form and painted ornament essentially on the subject of the opposite appropriate gains - steel artefacts, grave structure, funerary rites, and the age and intercourse of the deceased - and in addition takes under consideration diverse contexts within which those shapes and look.
Gerritsen's learn investigates how small teams of people—households, or neighborhood communities—constitute and symbolize their social id via shaping the panorama round them. studying such things as condo construction and habitation, cremation and burial, and farming and formality perform, Gerritsen develops a brand new theoretical and empirical point of view at the practices that create collective senses of id and belonging.
"Although occupied basically particularly in short within the lengthy span of worldwide prehistory, Scandinavia is a unprecedented laboratory for investigating prior human societies. the realm was once primarily unoccupied until eventually the tip of the final Ice Age while the melting of massive ice sheets left at the back of a clean, barren land floor, which was once ultimately coated through natural world.
- Berenike and the Ancient Maritime Spice Route
- The Viking-age rune-stones : custom and commemoration in early medieval Scandinavia
- The Terra Cotta Army: China’s First Emperor and the Birth of a Nation
- The Coins of Herod: A Modern Analysis and Die Classification
- Finders Keepers: A Tale of Archaeological Plunder and Obsession
Additional info for A Companion to Gender Prehistory
M. Nelson, ed. Pp. 691–732. Lanham, MD: AltaMira. indd 18 8/28/2012 2:59:56 PM INTRODUCTION 19 Sørensen, Marie Louise Stig, 2000 Gender Archaeology. Cambridge: Polity. Stanley, Liz, and Sue Wise, 2000 But the Empress Has No Clothes! Some Awkward Questions about the “Missing Revolution” in Feminist Theory. Feminist Theory 1(3):261–288. , 1994 Chiefdoms and Early States in the Near East: The Organizational Dynamics of Complexity. Madison, WI: Prehistory Press. Strathern, Marilyn, 1972 Women in Between: Female Roles in a Male World: Mount Hagen, New Guinea.
And is there any way for the diverse currents of thought embodied in present debates about gender versus feminism to find a common ground? Gender and feminism: Another binary division? 3 I also consider the degree to which the original aims of gender archaeology, with its close association to feminist social theory and its strong commitment to feminist political engagement, have been affected by the emergence of postmodern feminist theory. indd 7 8/28/2012 2:59:53 PM 8 DIANE BOLGER common interest to all archaeologists currently engaged in gender research in an attempt to bridge what is regarded by some as an ever-widening gap between Second and Third Wave perspectives in gender archaeology.
Stockett, eds. Pp. 156–166. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press. , Sarah M. , 1994 Equity Issues for Women in Archeology. Archeological Papers of the American Anthropological Association 5. Washington, DC: American Anthropological Association. Papaconstantinou, Demetra, 2002 Life Cycles and the Dynamics of Domestic Architecture: Households in Neolithic Cyprus. In Engendering Aphrodite: Women and Society in Ancient Cyprus. D. Bolger and N. Serwint, eds. Pp. 33–51. CAARI Monographs 3. Boston: American Schools of Oriental Research.
A Companion to Gender Prehistory by Diane Bolger